Wednesday, August 31, 2011

How to Recover Data from Drive that Disappeared from Mac - 1

Despite of hundred and hundreds of the features, Mac is known for its unpredictability. Hard drive corruption and volume corruption is very common  in Mac. Though all these issues can be resolved easily (To know how visit: What if Drive disappears From your Mac) but sometimes it these issues are very much complicated that could not be resolved easily.  This post is for those Mac in which drive disappears accidentally and while trying to mount it throws error “Mount Failed”.  The most common fear in this case will be about data so it is better retrive data first. I was not very sure whether data recovery is possible in this case because I was thinking it is not possible to retrieve data until and unless it is known from which volume data is to be retrieved! But I found Mac data recovery software by Stellar promising that it can recover data at any cost. So I decided to give it a try at least once! In the welcome screen I found last option something related to my situation, it saying:

“This method helps you to scan hard drive and other mass storage devices for lost/deleted volumes. It can scan each and every sector of drive to search lost/deleted volume. It can also search volume that fails to mount.”







Now my curiosity was at peak, without loosing a second I clicked on it and the screen in front of
me is asking to select the drive which I 
want to scan it presented the list of
drives in front of me. As I was using
 hard drive “Hitachi HTSS 45032B9SA02”
of 300 GB which software is showing to me.





The screen shot of the screen at which I was landed by the software is soon after clicking “continue” is:

It started scanning sector by sector for the lost drives!  Also describing me what exactly it is doing by presenting sector number it is reading and coloring the part in green where it found any lost, deleted or unmounted volume.  Not only this it also displaying number of drives it found in scanning so far!





It is bit time taking process because software is doing sector by sector scanning. But once it completed it will list all the drives found:


The list of the drive will be shown with the default  name “Lost Volume1”, “Lost Volume2”...
Additionally, it will show the size and file type of the drive.
Not only this screen is also educating me about the scan methods to be used for the doing further scanning for data in these volumes listed above. These methods are:
  • Quick Recovery
  • Deleted File Recovery
  • Advanced Recovery

I was really happy at this point when the software presented the list of volumes in front of me. At this point I am very much assured to get my data back. But for now I have to go for a special piece of family work and so I saved scan for now using “save scan” option present on the screen. I will work on it after finishing my task and then update you...

                                                                                           - Continued in Next Post

No comments:

Post a Comment