Thursday, June 23, 2011

What if Drive disappears From your Mac

It was about  12 AM I just started taking backup of the whole day tasks in external drive and in the mean time my friend switched off the system without even indicating me.  It was like blast for me because I know this could throw my whole day work in dustbin. I restarted my Mac quickly and what I have seen is like 100 V electric shock!! External drive disappears....

Quickly I remembered disk utility and I found that drive is present (with uneven name “disk0s5”) there but in unmounted state. I tried to mount the drive but it throws an exception:

I had no option other than clicking on “first aid” tab of the disk utility.  Without wasting even a single minute I clicked on the “Verify” and result was:

 I tried to figure out the problem in the drive  but nothing was much clear only thing that clicked my mind was there is some file system error. After the next second of this thought my hand automatically moved and clicked on the button showing “repair” just below the “verify” button in the disk utility. But I was not happy seeing the result of my last action, it again thrown same exception.
I was totally blank now. My whole day work was about flush out. Figuring out the situation my friend started  feeling guilty.  We both started thinking what we should do. We thought Mac can handle many drive related  issues by itself so decided to restart once more. But after booting that drive was still not mounted. My mood was very much upset now and I almost lost the hope of getting it back, I was started thinking what are the tasks I completed from today morning.  My friend started Googling Mac volume repair softwares.  He downloaded very first software from Google the name was: Stellar Volume Repair. He had downloaded the software.

We found interface of the software almost same as disk utility so it was quite easy to use. I saw same option “Verify” tried the same and result in front of me was not satisfactory. It again saying the same “invalid B tree node size” Error : Filesystem verify failed”. And I lost the last hope. But friend said what other options are for it showing two more options “repair” and “rebuild”


Volume Repair Image checking, verifying and rebuilding my drive!!
One more thing after rebuilding I found name drive is showing its original name: Mac Drive which was further shown as “disk0s5”!!
 

These two options are like magic for me after repairing & rebuilding the green line made me happy.....
I was happiest person  finding that  drive mounted  and now I quickly wanted to see my data. “Thanks GOD” I said everything was safe in the drive. I said my friend happily lets have some drink now.

No comments:

Post a Comment