Thursday, September 15, 2011

How to Recover Data from Drive that Disappeared from Mac – 2

As promised in my last post, I am here with my experiencing with the software. In todays world data recovery is not a big issue for anyone but point here is that how recovery can possible if whole partition (volume) has been deleted accidentally! Most of the softwares I found was asking me the drive where you want to run recovery but in my case situation was bit different.  I have deleted the volume thinking that it is a waste partition and of no use for me but soon I realized that I have copied some financial documents there. But it was too late to realize.  I called my business partner  to inform about the mis happening but she said that she having one software to recover the data from deleted volume and so I tried Stellar Phoenix Mac data recovery software.

The software first do scanning for whole drive for in search of deleted volume and then it listed all volumes in front of me. I have saved the scan in the image form for further use because I got some work (Detail with screen shots of the working of software at: How to Recover Data from Drive that Disappeared from Mac -1.)

After finishing up my tasks just load that image from my mac volume using the screen option “Load Image” present below right corner of the software screen. Now I am at the position where I stopped working.

All the lost volumes are in front of me with the name:
  • Lost Volume 1
  • Lost Volume 2
  • Lost Volume 3
along with some more options are shown as size and file system.

I was bit confused at this point because I was not sure which volume containing my data as the volume listed in front of me are with name “lost volume”.  At this point what going to help me is size and file system information. I rememberer the partition size  and file system was HFS+. So this information helped me in deciding the volume.

Now software is asking to choose scanning methods out of the three present in the software:

1. Quick Recovery:  This is fast option to recover the data. Most efficient to use in in case of volume corruption.
2.  Deleted File recovery: This option is used in case if files have been deleted accidentally from the volume.  It is time taking method to recover data because it scans unused blocks of volume to recover the data.
3. Advanced Recovery: It is most time taking method to recover files. But chances of complete recovery is maximum here. It read each and every sector of the volume to get the data back.

I have used advanced recovery option to recover data for me. Soon after one click it started searching catalog fragment and reading sectors of the volume (screen shot showing info of current sector it is scanning).

After sometime I found the message on the software screen:  “Scan complete”. The software listed all the files and folders in the tree form in front of me.  I can also see the preview of some of the files.

This was just preview not actual files as been recovered yet. After making myself 100% comfortable about the data I pressed “Recover” button present in the rightmost bottom of the screen.

After long heart breaking wait, I found data all of the data that I was dying to get back.  After seeing my financial documents safe and unaffected I really thanked my business partner who have suggested my this magic software. 

No comments:

Post a Comment