Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Speed Up Mac Performace, Find & Delete Duplicate Files


You may be one of those who always tried to find out the reason why performance of my Mac has been degrading day by day. May be you start questioning over the performance of Mac OS !! Even I was fighting with such thoughts from last five six months but now I am among the one of the satisfied Mac users. Don't you want to know how this happened.. !!

Actually what happened I come to know that this usually happens due to clusters of files. When I analyzed deeply I found even during downloading applications from web, some unwanted files are also downloaded along with them that are for not useful for everyone as for example:

Language Binaries: Localization files!! These files make the application run according to local language of OS. Let say if OS is in English the application will run in English and if OS is other language it will run in that local language. But for English user rest of the language files are of no use!!

Duplicate Files: Sometimes (may be unknowingly) we made copy the files in one or two place just imagine if this file is of 1GB. Then it of no use just killing the space. This could be one the most hectic task to find out duplicate files manually and this problem become just doubled if somehow the name of duplicate copy of files has been changed. Let think of 50 duplicates with different name. So it is becoming harder to find & remove duplicate file on Mac  as the number of duplicate file  continue increasing.

Temporary Files: Files saved in temporary folder!! These files are actually loaded by applications itself to minimize the load time of it. But clusters of many “temp” file started creating problem in performance.

Unwanted Widgets/Applications: Sometimes some widgets (as screen saver, desktop calender) can degrade your Mac performance. They actually kill much space and keep your processor busy without business. In the same way some applications are not more than filling space of hard drive.

Even I was surprised when I scanned my drive first time I found unwanted files in 800 MB. And after removing them I got feeling the processing of my Mac really enhanced. There are many software present on the web for this purpose, some good one are:
  • Tidy Up
  • Stellar Speedup Mac
  • Dupe Checker
  • Quick File Finder Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment